Bonne Anniversaire to the Potion Lady

There will never be another day like today.  Today is my mother’s – the original potion lady’s 70th birthday.  Yes, 70.  She’s still teaching English, playing Granny basketball, and living life to the fullest. I wanted to write a special note to the woman who inspires me, teaches me, loves me, counsels me, and prays for me every single day.  I will not take credit for the nickname “potion lady.”  That belongs to my friend Audra.  She gave my mother this name at the time I started this site – whose birthday is next week as well.

I will say my mother is THE best mother a person could have.  I can tell my mother anything.  I don’t mean I think I can tell her, I know I can tell her because I can.  I remember when I first told her about The Don – she listened and then said follow your heart, it won’t lead you wrong.  I did and I’m so happy.  When I decided to move to DC five years ago she didn’t stop me.  Her only request was that she help me drive and do the road trip because my dad would want her to come along for the ride.  After he passed in 1999 my mother became father and mother to me.  Her guidance has been invaluable.  There were times that I’ve called her in the middle of the night, crying over some worthless cad, and she would say “yes, this too shall pass, but you won’t ever know happiness until you get to the other side of this.”  Amazing advice.  Then there were tears of happiness when I told I found “the one.” The one who adds to my already fabulous happiness. Her response, “relationships should enhance the already fabulous person you are.  No one completes you, but you.”

Sunday, I was in the department store and for the very first time in my life I wanted to smell like my mother.  Not the oodles of scent that I always wear. But her essence.  To me, her essence is Estee Lauder’s Private Collection.  The fragrance was introduced in 1973 one year after my arrival on this earth (you can do the math).  Back then she would only wear the pure eau de parfum. I would watch her at her vanity and with each dab wanted to be her.  I wanted to dab it on all my pulse points and I wanted to embrace that tiny bottle full of all that she represented.

She is strong, smart, loving, kind, sports loving mom, a girl could have. There is not one day that I don’t think of my mother when I smell this glorious, divine, and luscious scent of jasmine and honeysuckle.  As I paid for the scent the only thought that came to my mind was “I have become my mother and I like it.”

To the potion lady, you are the best friend and mother a girl could have.  Thank you for naming me after your mother.  I hope I do you proud.  Always and forever.  I love you.

Pretty Script:  Queue the tears.  I couldn’t help it after writing this small ode to the best mommy in the world.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Brownietoes says:

I love it! Happy Birthday to your mother :) A great mom is worth her weight in gold and more!

2. DetroitGirl says:

What a wonderful tribute to your mother.
    Bon Anniversaire, Mrs. Pretty! :)
    (When I was a child, my mom wore Youth Dew. Whenever I’m feeling super-homesick,I spray a tiny mist of it into the room. What is it with moms and Estee, anyway?)

3. Audra says:

Happy, Happy Birthday to the “potion lady.” Thanks for having such a wonderful daughter.

4. lara says:

what a sweet post! i love that you wanted to smell like your mom

5. Jaime says:

6. Lisa says:

I’m a little bit older than you but even so, I WANT to be your mom to my children. I copied your post to a word document so that I can keep her actions/words nearby. One day I’ll give a copy to each of my kids (21yrs, 19yrs and 13) and tell them that I hope this is what I’ve become for them. You are so blessed to have a mom like that – I wish I did. I wish her years of health, happiness and sheer joy.
    All the best

7. What a beautiful ode to your mother! Happy birthday to her and may she and you have many, many more amazing years to spend together.
    My mom turned 60 just a couple of days before this. Thank God for wonderful mothers.

8. Leslie Harelik says:

What a wonderful tribute to an exceptional lady! Happy Birthday! This happens to be my mother’s and my favorite fragrance too!! It will always remind me of my Mother. There is nothing like appreciating how special your Mother is. My Mother is 84 and still wears Private Collection and so do I.
    Love and Miss you Julia,
    Leslie

9. What a beautiful sentiment. We should all be so lucky to have a Mom as wonderful as yours.

10. There is nothing like appreciating how special your Mother is. My Mother is 84 and still wears Private Collection and so do I.

11. Belated happy mother’s day! You are so blessed for having your mom. May you continue loving each other everyday.

12. Can’t wait to try it!

13. That was a great sentiment and I also can;t wait to try it. Its good that you bringing up this. :)
    cletsey

14. Potion Lady says:

I really appreciate what you’ve done for your mom who seems to be a remarkable woman..