Wow. That’s what I thought when I woke up this morning. I’m 40. I’m happy and there are no words to explain this joy. It seems in our culture youth is glorified and growing older is frowned upon. Well, guess what? Screw that! I am happy about 40. What’s not to love? It is time as women we embrace getting older. We could be on the other side of the ground. With so many bad things happening in our world, age should be the last thing we focus negatively on. I decided that for this birthday I wanted to make a gratitude list in celebration of this momentous birthday because I am a blessed girl.
- I have a man who loves me. He loves me in all my splendor, quirkiness, craziness, and everything in between. I mean the kind of love where he would sit through Anna Karenina with me just because it’s love. Is it all butterflies and rainbows. No, but it’s love, respect, and mutual values.
- My family is doing well. Family comes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This means the family I was born into and the family I have acquired through friendship.
- To my best friend for life Cassaundra. I love you so much. You are my rock. There are no words to describe how much you mean to me.
- I feel great and strong. After a few months of not feeling like myself due to a thyroid issue, I feel normal again.
- I am grateful for my friends. I am blessed to have great women and men in my life that I can count on.
- I don’t look 40. I thank Mama Dear for making me take care of my skin. She always said “pretty makeup looks good on pretty skin” and it is the truth.
- I have been to five continents. Let’s think about this. Most people haven’t been to one. I’m planning on visiting the other two in the next five years. Forget the bucket list, I have the expectation list. I’m grateful for my travel experiences. They have shaped me in so many ways.
- I’m proud of myself for finishing 34 books so far this year. I made it a point to only watch really good TV and read more this year. I look forward to surpassing this number in 2013. I wanted to try and get to 40 or 50 books, but life got in the way and that is a good thing.
- I am blessed to have found yoga. Everyday my practice, my breath, and my mat mean so much to me.
- I am thankful for my feet that will carry me across the finish line at a half-marathon next month. I used to be a marathoner and have a few under my feet. The past few years have been rough with injuries. I have been feeling good in my runs and excited to get back to the sport.
- Blogging. Where would I be without it? It’s hard to imagine my obsession with beauty products and travel would lead to all this. The amazing women and men I have met through blogging inspire me every day. Am I still obsessed? You bet.
For this birthday I wanted to go back to the old me. I started last week. As much I as I love my curly hair long, I love my hair short more. So to get this birthday extravaganza month started I went back to what I love – short hair. This is 40 baby! Short hair, no makeup, glowing skin, and happiness. Here’s to the next 40.