It’s hard to pinpoint the exact moment I discovered Garance Doré’s blog. It was around the time I started my blog and her blog focused on illustrations and fashion. I was hooked. As a Francophile, I loved her style and as an avid blog reader at the time I couldn’t get enough. Mind you this was 2006. Everything was about blogging. Instagram didn’t exist and not everyone had a smartphone.
The minute I discovered her book was coming out I had to pre-order it. Luckily, I was home to collect it and was actually stalking my mailman. I enjoyed the book with a cuppa tea while a pre-treatment hair oil, French, of course, was moisturizing my hair. I sat down to engage all my senses. No rushing. I took my time. There were moments I laughed out loud at her humor and the ability to laugh at herself and there were other times I’m like “I’m copying this exact look.”
If you are obsessed with style and love a good mix of both. This is your book. Garance is French by way of Corsica, so her perspective on the Paris and New York fashion aesthetic comes with a fresh set of eyes.
Also, it was the first time I looked at a style book and saw women who looked like me throughout. Go get this book now.
I don’t know what I was googling or even the topic I was researching, because once I laid eyes on the Seven Secrets Resort and Wellness Retreat in Lombak, Indonesia all common sense went out of my head. I mean, really? All I could think of was white sandy beaches, yoga, delicious and healthy food, plus luxury. Luxury. All. Damn. Day. I’m a goner. A wellness retreat in this setting. Bring it. I seriously suggest you take a gander and look at these photos.
You know you want to go, right?
It’s been such an amazing and profound week. You know the saying when one door closes, one door opens. That has been my week and it was the best week ever. With that being said, there are a few things I’m loving this week.
- If you have not watched Drake’s new video, how are we friends. I love it for reaffirming my belief Drake is a nerd and I love him.
- Downton Abbey is starting its final season. I seriously need to spend the next few weeks catching up.
- I love a good statement piece of jewelry and these earrings are calling me. Big. Bold and so Julia.
- Apple and fashion are coming together. I can’t wait to see what they create.
- I love a good hat for winter and this one is on its way to me. I can’t wait to wear it on a cold day out with friends.
Image: Daily Paint Works
I woke up this morning and had to really ask myself if it’s still autumn because it is cold. I mean coat cold. I had to put the lightweight jacket away this morning and put on the puffy coat. It’s too soon for this in my mind.
Cleansing oils have been very popular over the past few years and I like them a lot. I mainly use them as a makeup remover because they melt everything off. One problem I have if the oils are too heavy and then they just sit on your face. Also, I don’t like oils that need cajoling to wipe off. I don’t have to worry about this with the Neutrogena Ultra Light Cleansing Oil. It is so light and cleansing that one pump cleans my entire face. The beauty of this product is there is no oily residue on your face. That’s why I don’t use coconut oil to cleanse my face. Too greasy even after multiple washes.
If you are on the fence about cleansing oils I highly recommend this one. It’s great for the lovely winter we are having this fall.
P.S. I”m obsessed with this essentia alkaline water. I buy it by the case at grocery store and it is so good for your body.
I’m so excited to go apple picking tomorrow, visiting a local winery, and having multiple laughs that I hope I sleep well tonight. I’m excited to make my apple and blue cheese galette. It’s one of the things I look forward to this time of year. The weather is crisp and the leaves are getting the beautiful orange and plum hue that signals fall.
- I love whipped body butter, but I realized I could just make it myself with a little elbow grease. I watched this video, gathered my ingredients, and now you can’t stop me. My skin is going to be so soft that I actually want to pet it like a puppy. Also, I like that the scent isn’t over-powering. I combined lavender and Madagascar rose essential oils, but only a little bit. Divine. I put mine in glass sixteen-ounce jars I picked up at Homegoods because they make my beauty shelf look purr-ty.
- I love Rihanna and her unapologetic love of herself. I think she is smart and badass at the same time. This article reaffirms why I love her. Some people on these interwebs were made that the writer focused on herself more than Rihanna. Tell me what you think.
- The Man Booker Prize for Fiction was just announced and I was ecstatic to hear Marlon James won for a Brief History of Seven Killings. The book is so good, but it is very violent. I mean it’s tough. But, if you can get past that it is worth reading.
- Every year Neiman Marcus comes out with their annual Christmas Book of ridiculously crazy expensive things that I would buy if I won the lottery. It’s hilarious to look at. I take the time with a cup of tea and laugh out loud. Sometimes, there are a few gems in my price point but not many. It’s an anthropological study in how the other half lives.
- On most Fridays, I’m exhausted from the week and normally I’m on the couch watching documentaries on Netflix. Tonight I plan to watch them from the bath because my new ISUN ORMUS bath salts have arrived and plan on soaking until I’m as wrinkled as a raisin.
Shopbop is one of my favorite places to shop online. Since I’m only buying very limited amounts of clothing, I’m curating my closet to only have beautiful and luxurious items. I love every single item I’ve purchased from Shopbop. So when they have a friends and family sale it’s worth spreading the love.
Happy fall shopping.
All I want this weekend it to make my spiked apple cider hot toddy, finish a few of my advanced reader copy books, and binge-watch old Barefoot Contessa episodes. It’s been a busy week, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It means I’m doing things I love and I’m happy.
- I’m not in the camp that if you drink coffee you don’t drink tea. I’m an equal opportunity beverage girl. I’m picky about my coffee and love a good strong cup of coffee. I recently discovered Marley Coffee’s One Love and it’s been in heavy rotation in our house. It just drop-kicked Verona to the curb.
- I have a serious girl crush on Chrissy Teigen. I think she is hilarious and my dream is to eat food, drink and laugh with her. She’s so funny and real. Here are a few reasons she makes me smile.
- I want to get enough strength to go and smell this candle, but I think it’s not going to happen. Maison Francis Kurkdijan doesn’t make anything bad so his holiday candle has to be in my home. Maybe I need to order it “sight unsniffed.”
- I had this Cabernet Sauvignon a few years ago and it has become my weekday red, not to be confused with my weekend red. I was always on the hunt for a good deal for it then my beloved Costco started selling it. A very happy wine girl.
- J.K. Rowling just made my weekend. Yep, the new Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Illustrated Edition has made its way on the bookshelf. Happy girl.